Pages

One Lagos Fiesta

One Lagos Fiesta

Wednesday 20 June 2012

FIRST CLASS OR ECONOMY

I will never forget the look Gamaliel Onosode gave me when I greeted him as I sat in the first class of an ADC flight in the mid 90s. He gave me that look of "seriously?", shook his head and walked to his seat which was way back inside the economy sitting section of the plane. Not even a careless VRENDO to my respectfully presented "MINGWE". Migwe, mingwo, degwo, mehigwe... Are all variations of greetings accorded elders in URHOBO land. I even know some non URHOBOs that demand it as a way of clearing the air of who is older. If you don't believe me, any day any Warri boy, who is of the URHOBO extraction meets DEDE MABIAKU, who is a Warri boy of the ITSEKIRI lineage, I dare you to greet him good afternoon bros. Trust me, the Core i7 konk will bring you to the vernacular path quickly.

On arrival in Abuja, I waited to see Gamaliel Onosede, for further breakdown of that look. I was afraid I might have done a wrong that he got wind of. I geared up for it and submitted another MIIIIIIIINGWE OSE (Father). I dragged the mingwe for full effect. Still no VRENDO. He just smiled and said something to the effect that he did not know that my money was so much now that I now flew first class. And added that some of the "poor" people who sat in economy could actually afford to charter the plane to Abuja and back and that just because "rich" people like me sat in first class did not mean we (us the "rich") are better off.


Can you imagine? So I feared I had done something wrong. Little did I know it was worse. Lesson learnt. I managed to explain that the ticket was bought by COCA COLA NIGERIA (if my memory serves me right) for their world cup tour. He said that's not bad, but that i should try not to let people make me do what I normally will not do always, ok? I said yes sir. And from nowhere he said VRENDO. I didn't even say mingwe. So my greetings had been left hanging deliberately. Hmmm.

If you have read any of my write ups, you would by now know that much as there was a lesson to learnt in all of the above, it's all a foundation for where my thoughts will be taking this particular write up. So shine your eyes.

The hidden lessons from the encounter with Gamaliel Onosode on that flight were that not all who fly first class can afford it. Like me back then. This also explains why you see people who after leaving government appointment revert to flying economy. It's a humbling experience anytime I see such people. And if the ex official had airs when in office, I always remind them that there are still seats in the first class cabin. MSCHEEEEW!

Second lesson, sitting in economy in a 1 hour or less flight, does not reduce your financial standing. In fact, you would have saved some money. I remember a summer holiday of 2009, when a friend said he asked his 3 kids if they wanted to fly business class or economy to the Uk. The 15 year old daughter and his last son of 12 years insisted they MUST fly business class. But his 15 year old son opted for economy. Whether it was right to fly children at that age is not the purpose of this piece.
When it was time for shopping, the 2 tush business class flying children got £800 and £500 respectively and the economy passenger got £1500. Trust me, none of them kids have flown anything but economy since then.

Same logic applies to certificates issued to students as a proof of educational qualification. Not all who have first class can "afford" it. Can their intelligence cash a cheque that their certificate writes? Like me, on that ADC flight. Was the first class paid for? Did having a first class certificate make you a better person? Or more intelligent? What does your first class prove? What is the use having a certificate that is more educated than you are? Would you let a doctor who did not pass his medical exams treat you or when in the jaws of death, agree to a doctor you (a lecturer) knew failed but you passed all the same operate on you? Even though I hear it's not possible for any doctor to pass if he is not qualified. So where are all the quacks coming from?

I see a certificate or any qualification for that matter, as an "appearance" or a front that may open doors for you. What you do after the door is opened is up to you. That is when what you learnt come to play. Intelligence is a mix between knowledge, common sense, experience, skills and more. It always hurts a part of me, a part that would be vulgar to mention, when I hear a story of people who sit for an exam for some other person to pass. Isn't that like drug counterfeiting? Would you let your children be treated with the fake drugs you make? Did we not hear of the fake drug lord who was arrested during Prof Dora Akiyunli's NAFDAC days... refusing fake drugs when he took ill in detention?

When a practicing lawyer, who should know, (at least they call themselves LEARNED FELLOWS) decides to sit a bar qualification exam for a lawyer to be, that just unlearns them on all levels. And trust me, it would not be a new thing. I am beginning to suspect all these lawyers with disjointed, bruised and menstrating sentences that bleed into our ears. Some just fling over fed and malnourished tenses here and there, leaving us to say learned my foot! Now we know how some of them passed. While they were at a bar drinking someone was sitting their bar exam.

The sad irony is that, these same lawyers may become employers of labour and have to interview applicants. They will now have the temerity to question people who genuinely had a pass or third class. Bombastic element!

In the light of all going on, I don't even know what is more worrisome. Whether it is the fact that some people see nothing wrong in having people take professional exams for others or that they fail to see how such acts can directly affect the general regard for any such profession.

I have said it before that we have gradually come to a point in our nation where mediocrity of absolute lack of knowledge is considered acceptable even in careers that mean life or death.

I cry my beloved country.

23 comments:

  1. This is by far one of the most important write up that i've read on this blog.It's sad that such happen for professions that are so important.Our Educational sector needs serious revolution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is no longer news that moral sanity in the country is at its ebb... The sane ones are complaining but its all falling on deaf ears! Perhaps those who should help matters are actually behind the heinous crime! In the end all we resign to is #PrayForNigeria

    ReplyDelete
  3. eddie lancaster20 June 2012 at 06:21

    Well said. In virtually all we do in this country what matters is the end product not the process. I remember when we were called leaders of tomorrow. Now with what I'm seeing our tomorrow will be worse than what is applicable now in governance. Thanks for this write up

    ReplyDelete
  4. The late Sunny Okosun sang "which way Nigeria" when he thought Nigeria was at the brink of collapse. I wonder what he and the likes of late prophet Fela Kuti will sing about if they were still alive. Its really a pathetic situation. May God save our country Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meme Igbinovia20 June 2012 at 07:46

    Its sad though. I've got a friend who does things like taking exams n writing projects for students. N i often ask ow these students re to defend their project, wat i get is "they'll cross d bridge wen they get there", imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lesson from Elder Onosode is a hard one that we must learn, chew and swallow. And this article just brings home the point that we should live waaaaay below even what we can afford. No need to flaunt wealth. I am humbled indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ''When a practicing lawyer, who should know, (at least they call themselves LEARNED FELLOWS) decides to sit a bar qualification exam for a lawyer to be, that just unlearns them on all levels. And trust me, it would not be a new thing. I am beginning to suspect all these lawyers with disjointed, bruised and menstrating sentences that bleed into our ears. Some just fling over fed and malnourished tenses here and there, leaving us to say learned my foot! Now we know how some of them passed. While they were at a bar drinking someone was sitting their bar exam'' I know of a law student back in the days at school who did exactly those things. He now boasts around telling people he is a graduate and knows his onion. He even bragged the other day that he would like to know the person to stop him from running for the Anambra state house of assembly. God save Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maureen @Maulicious120 June 2012 at 10:11

    Wonderful write up. This is a constant phenomena in our country today, n it hurts me so bad because of d calibre of people who brag being 1st class 'materials' bt can't evn give 1st class presentations. It sickens me 2 d guts. Thank u ƒσя dis Alibaba. U r truly a motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice write up! What a pathetic situation we all found ourselves! Imagine all the government ministries and agencies are occupied by children of politians who helped kill our education after stealing our money to send their children to school abroad and now they're returning back since they can't get jobs overseas to take over the non-existing ones here! I see revolution but that can only be possible when the citizens put ethnicity and tribalism aside. Finally, the reasons why you'll continue to see quarks in all professional jobs is that our schools are nothing but an institutions that transform the cool headed and promisinh child to hooliganism and crime hungry humans! I wipe for this country!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Can your intelligence cash the cheque that your certificate writes?" I interpret this in a different light and it is making so so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ali, thought provoking write up. Kindly make sure you read through one last time for your spellings and grammar errors before pressing the send button. you are so much in a hurry to spill yours thoughts instead you spill your "guts".

    ReplyDelete
  12. @anonymous!.. Is like u are busy fishing for mistakes!..if u think wat he wrote was nonsense, Y not take de 'sense' in it and leave 'non' fir him!.. Mr ITK!.. Mscheeeew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahn Ahn ! Calm down na. He/she was just pointing out a mistake and not looking for one. Would you say that you haven't noticed Ali's typographical errors? Don't just attack people like that. It's just an advise to make him a better writer.

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry if this hurts you.The idea is to change you & I 2 a better person

    Speech made by former S/A President P.W. Botha to his Cabinet. It was reprinted by David G. Mailu for the Sunday Times, a S/A newspaper, on 18,1985.
    ....We are not obliged even the least to try to prove to anybody & to the Blacks that we are superior ppl. We have demonstrated that to the Blacks in 1001 ways. The Republic of S/A that we know of today has not been created by wishful thinking. We have created it at the expense of intelligence, sweat and blood......We do not pretend like other Whites that we like Blacks. The fact that, Blacks look like human beings & act like human beings do not necessarily make them sensible human beings. Hedgehogs are not porcupines & lizards are not crocodiles simply bcuz they look alike. If God wanted us to be equal to the Blacks, he would have created> us all of a uniform colour & intellect. But he created us differently: Whites, Blacks, Yellow, Rulers & the ruled. Intellectually, we are superior to the Blacks; that has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt over the years. I believe that the Afrikaner is an honest, God fearing person, who has demonstrated practically the right way of being......By now every one of us has seen it practically that the Blacks cannot rule themselves. Give them guns & they will kill each other. They are good in nothing else but making noise, dancing, marrying many wives & indulging in sex. Let us all accept that the Black man is the symbol of poverty, mental inferiority, laziness and emotional incompetence. Isn't it plausible? therefore that the White man is created to rule the Black man.......And here is a creature( black man) that lacks foresight....The average Black does not plan his life beyond a year... Hummm: I'm speechless!. If you are ready to change the bad stigma on black race. Join Operation Change Nigeria. Flush out Bad leaders with your vote. I'm ready for the change.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Kaycee1 , this is absolutely touching!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmmmmmm wonderful write-up for one to ponder over. Naija which way forward?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nothing more to add except : Megwo - Here are my knee(l)s, Vrendo - Thank you, you may stand up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a lawyer, a practicing lawyer in Nigeria. Going to court is always a lesson in how not to practice. I see the lawyers with diction that can kill an elephant strutting up and down he place and I often wonder why they've not been called to justify their certificates. But we now know why they are able to practice: someone took the bar exams for them. They will now open their mouths and tell you how old they are at the bar. Mscheeewww. This is meant to be a noble profession but nobility has gone to the dogs. From Nolle Adoke to the lowest practitioner out there, we have bartered our nobility with endemic corruption and I see no end in sight. It is indeed a sorry state of affairs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Uncle Alibaba... That's very true... People who have first class... Only few can defend the certificate.

    And that cheating thing annoys me ‎​S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴̴̴̴̴͡ much...

    Like semester I wrote an exam... Very tough course... Data structure... I really dint understand and several of us i̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ the class... U̶̲̥̅̊ won't believe that some of our coursemates went behind to collect their answer sheet and re-wrote the exam!

    Now such would graduate wiv a first class and want to start doing boss for those that struggled to graduate wiv a 2-1! Its a pathetic case... But nowadays. I think employers of labour Α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ wanting more than the certifate sooo... That's why some 3rd class students tooo Α̲̅я̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ doing fine! Few tho... Buh its a start!

    We hope things wud get better...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly remarkable piece sir. I totally agree with the lesson being passed on. The honest truth is that as Nigerians, our problems are self-inflicted. Unfortunately, our people are too lazy, too proud (for nothing) and too selfish to try to do anything to change this country. I went to a skool where lecturers were building houses and buying cars from the monies received from students' 'sorting'. Where a student will come to skool after collecting their school fees, pocket money and sorting money from their parents. When a parent can shell out 300k for sorting for his son's exams that semester, why would that boy or girl feel the need to work for anything. Where a CJ of an Eastern state gave his child everything to make her stay in skool comfortable just so she would stay and graduate in Law. Even to d extent of financing a lecturer's political bid for LG chairman just so his precious daughter cud come out with a 2:1. Why would any child see the necessity to work for grades when daddy has it all covered? I worked hard, sweated and bled for my degree nd I'm happy I can pat myself on d back and tell myself well done. But others can't do this and they feel no shame at it. So pls if we can all be doing things like this at a young age, why should we give a damn about our fellow man when we eventually find ourselves in positions of control of huge wealth or power. After all, they're entitled. And to 'Anonymous' who is 'wiping' for the country, don't u think u shud go back and check urself?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alibaba, thank u for being on point again. Sometime ago I went for an audition in Enugu, in the days Naiko hotel snd Macdavos used to be the place for Nollywood in Enugu, I was being auditioned by someone who couldn't make a meaningful statement out of the scripts yet he Directed and still Directs movies and is at the Panel for DGN screening wanting to screen me again; ha? It cuts across all sphere's in Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Boss has said it all, "I Cry My Beloved Country".

    The reality of these systematic structural defect hit me hard when I was in an NYSC Orientation Camp in 2007. Supposed graduate couldn't express themselves and some would eventually be posted to the 'Human Resource Factory' where the hopes of this country moulded. The question I asked myself then was, 'to do what?' I could only fathom one answer *continue the mediocrity*. Its so sickening while we watch our country and all we wish it to be go down the abyss of infamy and destruction, all cos, we refused to stitch-in-time.

    God Bless your insight.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brilliant writeup Ali..very brilliant..I am a first class grad and can proudly say dat it was without crookery..I would want to say something: even those who got their certificates genuinely have stopped reading..sadly, I'm speaking for myself and a few of my friends. This is one wakeup call...I gotta keep reading..that's what makes one outstanding..one can't rely on past success..u need to keep making yourself a success...Thanks Ali!

    ReplyDelete