Pages

One Lagos Fiesta

One Lagos Fiesta

Sunday 17 June 2012

OVER SABI... EXTREME EXTROVERTS?

Some people in this Nigeria are professionals at swallowing Panadol for other people's headaches SHA! Good God! They not only cry more than the bereaved, thesedays they now offer themselves in place of the departed. I wish they could experience an out of body moment and see how they look. I usually just let them be, but looks like that is why we are now having more and more of them. I have decided they will be hearing from me anytime they cross my path.

During the Obasanjo regime, I was MC at an event where the First Lady, Late Mrs Stella Obasanjo, was hosting wives of ECOWAS heads of government, to a dinner. It so happened that the podium I was working from was unusually high, even for me. So when it was time for the First Lady's speech I met her half way towards the podium and told her to speak from the high table. She whispered a word of gratitude and did like I suggested. Months later at another event at the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Obasanjo called me and asked that he heard I went to an event and said That the First Lady was short. Before I could defend myself, Baba interrupted and asked if I knew why he married Stella... No sir, I said. Well I married her because during the war, we had to carry our wives and run. So I married somebody who I could carry.


That kind of over sabi thingy played itself out today at the event I am working at. While waiting for guests to arrive, I went round to say hello to the "who is who" of the corporate world. And one lady who is a member of the planning committee, did not even respond to my greeting like the rest did. She said "EHEN! Ali Baba, be careful, no expensive jokes today o!" One of the Edozien brothers wanted to jump to my defence. I said no sir. Let me hear one of such expensive jokes that you have heard me tell that you consider offensive. And she must have thought she was going to nail me, she said, "what of the joke when you said Obasanjo wanted to give you money and then he heard that you were paid N1million and he said he wasn't giving you again". HOW IN A DONKEY'S BALLS, IS THAT AN EXPENSIVE JOKE? That is besides the fact that I did not say the joke (if that could even pass for a joke) that was something Baba said at a dinner in honour of the new PDP chairman at the time.

Is that what you consider an expensive joke? I asked her. Something Obasanjo said himself? Madam please get your facts right or stop tainting people's professional integrity. I did not get to this point in my career by joking with my job. Please be guided. I added. Another member of the committee at that point said, "Ali it's ok. Just give us a good show."

After 23+ years of striding this comedy scene, should I be the one teaching people that there is a thin line between being funny and being offensive? That's what one PMS influenced frustrated she goat wants to teach me. No be her fault, like say I GREE do her 60th birthday for free, I bet I would have been the best comedian she ever knew! Rubbish!

Don't nobody tell me it's enough. I DEY vex.

Not saying anything would have given her the nerve to repeat that crap again. Some people just deleted their common sense and downloaded stupidity. And pass it off as over sabi. Let's not tolerate them anymore. They must reboot and reload factory setting.

Enough is enough!

20 comments:

  1. Ahhhh Baba don vex no be small. Abegro forgiff her mbok! As you sef don identify the software wey she download-stupidity-. Abeg, giri ya nwayo (take am easy). Daalu!(Thank you)

    ReplyDelete
  2. d truth is dat dere is more stupidity dan hydrogen in dis world and it has a longer shelf life.lots of supid pple am teln u

    ReplyDelete
  3. D yeye busy body don make chairman vex!!!!!! We wil always av dem around, so no vex chairman!!!!!!!!!!! Na where her sense reach be dat,,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. She must have shrunk after you said that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laugh wan tear belle oh!!! I'd love to know the lady's reaction after you"harrassed " her. No vex

    ReplyDelete
  6. This busy body issue na serious matter o. They never mind their business and even if u cant control ur mouth, shebi u'ld make sure dat whatever nonsense u want to say is actually true and not hearsay.
    Oga Alibaba abeg no vex o jare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emperor Kendostein18 June 2012 at 01:09

    Oga ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡ mind dem bad belle pple joor dem ŊO̶̷̩̥̊͡ sabi nah and dem tink say dem sabi,mshetww

    ReplyDelete
  8. Na simple envy sir, or opportunity to say 'me too can talk to Alibaba'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very swift & intelligent reply! Next time she'll think twice before she yan rubbish

    ReplyDelete
  10. No mind her, she wan pour sand sand insyd yr garri. No surprise e fit b sey na transfer f aggressn frm her hubby.Bt U̶̲̥̅̊ gav her wat she deserved. A Gd ansa.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baba dey vex and the vex dey logical, some people really needed to be shut up if they don't have the common sense to do it on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @jayjuff.Ur rite to have put her in her place..for d fact pple tolerate stupidity as traditions doesn't mean u have to put up with it.well deliverd..she got d messsage..she nor go try am wit any body again

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ruchielicious18 June 2012 at 19:02

    Lol! One good thing though, she just brought to mind one of my all time fave jokes u made @ I think d presidential gala after 2nd term reelection of obj.
    U made a joke about stella n pancake first n ended with a joke about a committee planning to mk a statue of him 4 N50m or somethn like dt n baba hearing about it n offering to go n stand there instead. When u finished, I remember obj jokingly telln u not to let him catch u.
    Donkey yrs later, I still laff when I remember some of those jokes, especially dt one.
    Well done Mr A

    ReplyDelete
  14. aluko jesutofunmi @hrf_tofunmi19 June 2012 at 02:19

    ali, truth is we cant all be d same, can we? thats why finger prints are different...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha your post endings sha but so true "Some people just deleted their common sense and downloaded stupidity."

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ali, thought provoking write up. Kindly make sure you read through one last time for your spellings and grammar errors before pressing the send button. you are so much in a hurry to spill yours thoughts instead you spill your "guts".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dt was a gud way to ve handled dt Baba!
    Ds is another one of 'silence is not always golden'
    Gud one dre sir!

    ReplyDelete
  18. if she(she goat):D was in the planning committee maybe it was a kind of warning so you dont spill how much you got paid for the show..lol

    ReplyDelete